California Drought Solutions
High-Efficiency Plumbing for Palm Springs Homes
California’s drought is big news. All over the state, people are conserving. The Governor has even created a task force and ordered water restrictions. State agencies are also forming committees and working on infrastructure. The good news is, all of this effort is paying off, generating solutions to the problem such as recycling wastewater, desalinization, drip irrigation, xeriscaping, and water conservation.
How does all of this affect California’s “Oasis in the desert”? Palm Springs is known for its opulence and elegance. As the Desert Water Agency reports, our community is the largest consumer of water in the state, using an average of 200 gallons per person. Much of this water is going for maintaining lush green lawns and beautiful water features.
How Palm Springs Residents Keep the City Lush during Drought
One plan for reducing water consumption is xeriscaping or replacing grass with drought-tolerant landscaping. Turf buyback programs are in place to help make the transition easier, paying as much as $2 per square foot for residential consumers.
There are also many ways to cut back or conserve water usage inside the home, such as:
- Turning off the faucet when you brush your teeth or taking shorter showers.
- Collecting rainwater to water your plants.
- Sweeping your driveway and sidewalk instead of rinsing it with a hose.
All of these are good ways to conserve water but they take thought and effort.
Simple Upgrades for Improved Home Efficiency
There are ways to conserve water automatically by changing a few things in your home. Things like high- efficiency plumbing, ENERGY STAR® rated appliances, and tankless water heaters. Toilets and shower heads account for about 50% of a home’s indoor water usage. Switching to high-efficiency plumbing fixtures can conserve a significant amount of water.
Some examples of high-efficiency plumbing include:
- A high-efficiency toilet (HET) can reduce water usage from 3.5 to 1.3 gallons per flush.
- A water saving faucet can reduce water usage from 2.2 gallons per minute to 1.5 gallons per minute.
- A high-performance showerhead can reduce water usage from 2.5 gallons per minute to 1.75 gallons per minute.
- ENERGY STAR rated appliances also save a bundle and modern dishwashers are actually more efficient than hand washing.
- Tankless water heaters are also an option, using much less water. You only heat what you need, not 40-60 gallons.
All of these products can be installed with the help of our green-screened certified plumbers in Palm Springs who are trained in installing water efficient products and reducing water use.
If you wish to install high-efficiency plumbing fixtures or for more water conservation tips, please feel free to contact KC’s 23 1/2 Hour Plumbing at (760) 327-8718.
Our fully equipped trucks are packed with state of the art tools and ready to handle your plumbing needs.
An opportunity to receive the home improvements needed at an affordable rate.
This is custom heading element
Your Plumbing & Water Purification Experts
- Family Based Values
- Locally Owned & Operated
- Professional & Efficient Work Ethic
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
- 24 Hr Emergency Service at No Extra Cost
- Over 50 Years of Plumbing Experience